Tuesday 11 September 2007

New Beginnings

This lunchtime's mood; Anxious, I'm really starting to come to terms with the paperwork demands that go hand in hand with the course, having previously thought it was more of a hand-foot relationship. My expectations of this course were that it was going to be more of a free-thinking, arty based class.. in which we'd do countless brainstorming sessions, look at many a source for inspiration, experiment with shapes and textures, sadly it is not the designers paradise I expected. Maybe my expectations were a bit too unrealistic as to what the pressures of a real world designer were, maybe I got lost in this 'perfect course' model I had built for myself, as a designer thinking too much always leads to a dead end.

True of course, until I reached the seminar groups in which I was able to have some more one on one contact with Steve, though most of all being able to see what the second year students had produced when they were in my position. I saw that my previous thoughts were not totally accurate, this just one of the hurdles in between clear paths of pure design.
Looking through these first year sketch books I got a more in depth look at the procedures we would go through when creating, developing and producing various design works in our first year. Anxious feeling gone, worries gone, happy Andrew again.

Everyone in the class has helped in making this a comfortable environment to work in, the value of friendly faces especially in new pastures is priceless.

1 comment:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Andrew,

Its nice to know that I wasn't the only one feeling uneasy about things. Very well written.