Sunday 9 September 2007

Past, Present & the Future

Where I've come from, Where I'm Going & How I'm Going to get there

Starting at an early age i was introduced to the world of website design when i was around the age of 11, through on-line gaming communities. After playing for some time and noticing that clans were always in need of a website but never had someone to create it for them, since i was already interested in designing things i thought i would give it ago myself. With my first few websites being made solely of html tables and a banner made on adobe Photoshop, i started to get bored of the simplicity and decided to step my game up somewhat. So with the aid of internet tutorial sites and a mix of trial and error, i was quickly elevating to a standard where i could do exactly what i wanted with a website, of course there were and are some boundaries to it. I begin making sites purely through a html structure and Adobe Photoshop graphical layout, but this could only get me so far, i still felt there was better i could do, just little touches that would vastly improve the overall look and use-ability of my websites. I then started to use fireworks to create and integrate Javascript pop-up menus so that it would give my websites a smoother look and a better interface for the user; i also started using macromedia flash to give my banners an added effect with moving parts so that the banner was always something different.


In an effort to make my sites look as flashy as possible and to show off my talent to the fullest degree i decided to learn how to use various 3D programs, such as Cinema 4D and 3D Studio Max, in which i could create renders to manipulate in Photoshop and then crop a certain part to use as a banner or the render as a splash entrance to a website. Realising this was all a bit unprofessional in the end i started to take use-ability as a much higher priority than just looking flashy.

With the help of this course i hope to further improve my design skills with adobe Photoshop and vastly improve the coding side of my websites, as this has always been the greatest weakness of mine; having friends who are expert coders in the past has allowed me to stick to what i do best, design. After my two years are done here, i plan to finish the 3rd year at Huddersfield University and attain my BA Honours in the subject.
After this is done i will hope to get a job in a small but well known design company somewhere in the country, recognised for superior quality work to other that is produced in the word of design. This will only be achievable through hard work and determination from my part, having consistently good work whilst meeting deadlines and doing outside projects often.

No comments: