Tuesday 6 November 2007

Backup the hill...

This week has a been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride for the group, the pressure of presentations on the first Monday back, were evident as I looked at the faces around me. Though through the nervousness came a sense of calm as we sat talking in the refectory, it was a real chance for everyone to converse and get to know more people better, I personally thought doing this made us come together as a group alot more. I think it was the shared nervous feelings around the presentation and our first assignment rules that really created this bond between us all and showed Steve that we were one of the groups that could bring its self together and help one another out.

As each person got called up the optimistic feeling within the group rose; mainly because after a person came back from presenting their work they seemed elated with what they had produced, how the presentation its self went and how well they think Steve received their particular presentations. In the aftermath we were told Steve was happy with how the presentations went and there was definately a shared feeling of relief.


The Results: Referral,
Feeling: Dissappointed,
On The Top: Calm,
Comments: I know what I need to do.

Today we had the type of lecture that I thought the course would be based around a lot more, with the introduction of the A3 assignment. The particular question posed to us by Steve was "What's the difference between Art & Design?" a very open ended question with alot of room for discussion, and it really didn't fail to provoke that kind of response from the class and myself. In our new seminar groups Shaun & I were already arguing the thoughts and opinions based around this subject, we knew that when it came time for the class discussion there was definitely going to be some interesting points made; alongside heated debate over the subject. Which after some careful consideration, and of course taking alot of Steve's points into account I settled on that 'I am a Designer'.

This week we have a few tasks to complete; one of these is an essay on the latter subject, I am particularly looking forward to as it gives me sufficient time and space to rant about my own opinion around this subject, and I like to be opinionated on subjects like this. The only thing I might slip up on is the word count being for two essays, I'll have to set it out at 700 each... but about this subject I know it's possible for me to write atleast double that, I will have to find away of fitting everything I want to say in not so many words. I think another thing to take into account is the next essay after this and think about switching the percentage of my word count on each, to enable me to write more than just 700 on this one.

6 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

I think that the best way for us to stick to the word count suggested is to stick to one part of the discussion we had as a class this morning. If we were to mention every point that was made, we'd all ramble on for pages and pages.

Yesterday was nice, having the group sitting downstairs waiting to do our presentations, it felt like we were all there supporting one another, which is how things should be!

Tom Smith said...

I agree with Sue... choose one specific aspect of the argument to deal with. If not, I reckon any one of us could write an entire book on the subject!

I was really pleased with the time in the refectory on Monday too... it was a good bonding experience for us all.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Andy

A positive spin on a very mixed few days.

The refectory on Monday was dominated by our HND class.

Supprisingly the subject barly varied from the presentation and forth coming submission results.

I know I have said it before but I really do feel as though the majority of the group is coming together nicely.

I completly agree with you about the word count on this assignment, however if we follow the advice of Sue and Tom then I think we won't go far wrong.


--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

John Browne said...

I knoticed the dissapointment pass through the faces that reffered the assignment also, its was pretty much a daunting experience to know so much hard work and devosion to not be enough in this case.

I also agree with the comments on the class bonding together. On monday in the refectory i tried to make a little chit-chat with everyone rather then focusing on 1 specific group. By doing this i intended to get to know people a little more then i previously did.

On a final note it may help to mention that the link to Mark Torringtons blog doesn't work correctly.

Thanks: John

Webomatic said...

Hi

I would like to start off, by saying I noticed the disappointment also, the way the room went silent as it says in my blogg, however in my blogg I have also stated about how we are students and how we all learn new things.

Another point being that even though it was a disappointing day for some, I really do think it pulled us together more as you said, that along with the presentation aloud us all to look out for each other and I think that it brought us closer as a group which is a good thing.

Thanks, Martyn

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.