Tuesday 30 October 2007

Seeing Red; Mixed With Yellow.

Well the colour I've been given is 'Brown'; at first I thought this was a bad choice and was gutted I didn't get more of a primary colour rather than a derivative of orange, or red and yellow mixed together. But as time when along and my research turned up more and more, I am quite happy with the colour and think I come up with a bit of luck in this particular one.

The first thing I found was the links to the National Social Party (Nazi's) which took me back to when I studied it in A-Level History a few years ago, and it brought back a few memories such as the 'Hitler Youth' which was all the pure German born kids in an organisation run by the Nazi's. They'd have days out, fun activities a lot of sport and physical things going on, which of course as a young boy was heaven, they used this to brain wash the kids into thinking the way of the Nazi's, all these boys wore Brown Shirts.
A part of the army that also wore these brown shirts were the SA, the core of the Nazi Party ideology.

I thought I'd give people a preview to what may crop up in my presentation, as it seems to be the biggest thing I've found about the colour brown.. except all the natural symbolism that goes along with it.

In reflection I have found this subject quite interesting, which is surprising considering my first reaction to doing a presentation of a colour was 'Are you serious?' I really wasn't sure whether I would be able to fill the whole five minutes on just a colour. Then after reading into it further I discovered it to be quite deep and one that enables a lot of creativity as well as good practice for presentations in the future.

I'm 50/50 with my confidence right now on the presentation, at the moment it is not affecting me and I'm thinking it will go smooth and I am quite confident about presenting my colour. This may be because I have a generally high confidence level and I'm not that scared when it comes to speaking in group situations whether it is answering questions or the like, though I know that presentations are a whole different kettle of fish. I know when it comes 5minutes before the actual presentation the nerves definitely will start to kick in somewhat and I will start worrying.

I have also decided to keep a practice timesheet this week, which was a suggestion Shaun made as he is keeping one too, just to show everything has been done in an organised time and also just to keep the timesheet being a regular thing and staying with the routine.

10 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

It seems I've had very similar feelings to you this week. Firstly in terms of finding the presentation topic surprisingly interesting and secondly on the time keeping.

I've starting weekly time sheets too regardless of whether we need them or not, just to get into good habits. So far it seems to be working and its helping me to prioritise tasks. I have a tendency to drift and loose all awareness of time sometimes when researching, this must stop!!!

Chris said...

Myself and another student got given the colour brown to do a presentation on last year, it was proably the worst colour you can get. I found a good few websites which gave me basically the same information, this was similar to the one I used http://www.crystal-cure.com/brown.html

Good luck with the presentation, they are not as bad as everybody thinks!

Chris Howard - Former HNC Interactive Media Student.

Tom Smith said...

I know what you mean about being surprised when you first saw the presentation topic... I was the same. But like you, I've also ended up finding it really interesting to actually look into colours... mine is black.

I've also been keeping a time sheet this week. I wasn't sure whether this was required or not... but like you said, it's important to keep up with good habits.

James Bell said...

I know what you mean about the nerves kicking in 5 minutes before presenting.

Everytime I have given a presentation in the past being nervous has the biggest problem but I think that the notes that Steve gave will be vital to try and overcome those nerves.

I think the point that Steve made about accepting the fact that you will be nervous is vital and something that I have never really taken on board before.

Anonymous said...

It's the fight-or-flight response that Shaun mentioned before half-term. It's your body's way of getting ready to give a performance ... or to produce enough energy to run away very quickly! Of course, there'll be none of the latter on Monday.

Craig Burgess said...

It's good to see your starting to take time planning seriously Andrew because this is probably the single most important skill to get right.

If you know what you're doing and when everything else will fall into place afterwards. However, don't expect everything to fall into place straight away; it's a difficult skill to master.

It helps if you have someone to evaluate how you're doing with your time planning, or even yourslf - just take five minutes out of your time every now and again to honestly evaluate how your planning is going.

Anonymous said...

Date stamp and time zone test.

Suzanne Hullah said...

I have to completely agree with the statement about being 50/50 on confidence at this stage. One minute I'm so pleased with the work that I've done and how I'm going to present it that I get excited about it, the next minute I'm panicking about it!

But in the end, we're all in the same boat. We all have a colour to talk about, a handout and presentation to produce and to stand up in front of everyone to present. So, we should be a bit more relaxed!

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Andy

Thanks for the insight into your presentation and the colour brown. I must admit its not something I knew about that period of time.

The apprehension of the presentation is upon us all but please be careful not to mistake excitement and anticipation for nerves.

It sounds as though your presentation is going to be fact filled in dramatic.

I'm looking forward to it :-)

--
Shaun Bellis
My Journal

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments this afternoon Andrew, but because they were after the requested deadline, they won't count on your quota.