Tuesday 23 October 2007

Half Termination

Well, for a week anyway..
After pondering the last assignment and the future assignments over this last week or so, I've realised my mistakes & downfalls, so the idea mentioned by other students in the class and also the original idea by Steve I think I the timesheet collection idea would be a good solution. For the simple fact it helps me keep an eye on everything a lot easier and then when it comes to the end of an assignment that part is not something I have to deal with.

I'm eager to get on with the next assignment to prove to myself & the tutors what I really can produce, the last one (without realising) was more to test the waters for me to see what actually had to be done in order to produce a good quality piece of work.
It's not only helped me understand the amount of work that's involved, but also the detail involved with each task; in each task there is mini tasks or as the lingo would be 'Macro & Micro' tasks. I know that when the next task comes around I will be even more focused and dedicated to produce the necessary quantity and quality work to get very good marks.

In this week of pondering, I did question myself on whether this was the right course for me; after thinking long and hard I decide it really was & that it was more of a complete course for me than I previously thought. I was sad upon hearing there was going to be no 3D modelling or animation involved in the course at all, as I think that is one of the ways media in general is going, but as far as core design skills this is the place to be; it's possible for me to follow these methods out of college as well.




4 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Andy

This was a really reflective and honest entry.

I think that we have all experienced very similar emotions since the beginning of the course.

Understanding and making good use of your newly found direction and dedication is the next hurdle.

I am sure that if we all pull together then we wont go far wrong.

I am looking forward to our new seminar groups; however we have to ensure that we really 'get our heads down' and put some real effort into the up coming assignment.

Craig Burgess said...

As the saying goes, you have to walk before you can run. The most important thing to get right first is the core design skills, as those will be what makes you the money in the future.

I don't think two years is long enough to teach animation and 3d modeling to a decent degree. It would mean that teaching us how to design would suffer a lot more, and that is by far the most important thing to learn.

I felt similar pangs of wanting when I first started the course. I too wanted to be a jack of all trades and learn everything I possibly could in two years. But if you want to be a good designer and do it well, you could spend a lifetime on just doing that.

They'll always be jobs for designers, even though in ten years time the Internet (or other traditional mediums) might look very different to what it does now.

Liam Corfield said...

i understand about how you feel that the fist task was a kind of test, i feel the same, but i do worry thta i dint put enought into it, just nedd to hope for a good mark and try harder with the next assignment.

Gary Benn said...

hi andy,

Glad to hear that you decided it was the right course for you! I think so far, the course has been great, and it can only get better?

I know what you mean when you were talking about the disappointment! I was quite disappointed that there isn't any Flash work involved (or at least not in the first year).