Tuesday 16 October 2007

Gold Rush

With the deadline past mixed feelings are apparent, I'm not sure whether to be happy with what I have done or not.
The main worry for me was the loss of some of my original time sheets and my production schedule, after I had done my evaluation in which I spoke about how good my organisation skills were and how I was keeping up with my time sheets efficiently. I did try to draw some up to cover my steps but found it hard as I only had a few original time sheets to work from, which meant my production schedule was thrown totally off course.

I was however originally stuck on what to write for my evaluation, it took a few days of pondering to figure how exactly what i wanted to include in it, with trying to start but then giving up. I finally worked out what i wanted to say and the words just flowed out and before I knew it, I'd hit around the 850words mark and found myself at the end.
In a way this is similar to how I am when it comes to writing blog entries, sometimes I can just get a topic from the start and seem to go on forever about it, sometimes it takes a while; I usually get it in the end though.
When seeing my actual project and assignment completed, I was overcome with happiness; it is such a burden lifted off my shoulders to see the work all in the InDesign file and looking neat and everything exactly how it should look.


  • Think about my presentational skills and make some decisions on how I will approach it.
  • Think about how I can improve with task in the future; which I have already started.
  • Keep learning Adobe InDesign and working through it's many powerful features.
  • Try expand my range of designs, I noticed I was very comfortable with the design i did, it was something that I would have done given no target audience to match with.
  • Prepare a lot better for the assignment, I waited until late to make preparations which meant when it came to the final deadline day, i was worried about presentation and getting everything together; instead of the actual work in hand and proof reading everything.

I am excited about the aspect of presentations, I think it as a key skill that is needed in the industry and personally I am happy to explore it. I can see others in the class are quite shy when it comes to presentations and this might hinder them when the day comes, but I feel that if i prepare properly that it should be a task well within my capabilities.

4 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

You're very right Andrew: presentation skills are important. Try to be as natural as you can when presenting, and try not to over-rehearse things.

Over-rehearsing just makes you more nervous and you'll come off like you're reading from a script. Write down key points that you need to say in your presentation and practice those.

I personally wouldn't advise cue cards, as it makes it seem like you're looking down all the time, but I know a lot of other people who swear by them. I find a lot more natural way of providing cues is through the presentation slides.

And once last point - don't put a lot of information on your presentation slides. They should have their attention on your most of the time, not trying to read essays on your slides.

Gary Benn said...

A few weeks ago Steve suggested that in the past people have handed production schedules and time sheets in on a weekly basis to make sure they are doing it correctly and keep on top of the time. I think this is a great idea for anyone that time passes by.

But anyway I was rather concerned that you had left everything until last minute! Was it about 5 mins before deadline you handed in?

Tom Smith said...

With regard to the evaluation, I had similar problems at first... not quite knowing where to start and how to describe my feelings. However, once I started I got into it and found it quite easy, and had it done in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Andy,

A very honest approach to the problems with the time sheets. Garry mentioned Steve's offer of a weekly collection of the time sheets.

This might be a better approach for you.

However, I am sure that with practice we will all become a lot more comfortable with the time sheets and production schedules.

Craig has reiterated a few very good presentation tips that Steve went over with us on Tuesday.