Friday 12 October 2007

Tickertape Ending

The last week is upon us and a serious tone has hit the group, everyone has realised they need to get down and do some hard graft to get this assignment finished. Personally I was quite relaxed last week behind what maybe was rose coloured glasses, this week it has only just really hit me how much work there was left to complete. Last week was when the amount of detail we actually had to go into made its self apparent, but now when evaluating I'm realsing actually how much work we have done.

On paper 2.5k doesn't seem like a whole lot, if you think our average blog posts are around 500 words. But when you add all the research, putting it into page maker, design work.. everything, I certainly did under estimate the amount of work we would have to do, after week one.

And this is nothing compared to A3..

After a meeting I had with Steve & John, we decided I really needed to pull my finger out, or not only would i be letting myself down, but also them down as tutors; they do put a lot of time and effort into this. It is mostly to do with this very blog its self. I seem to find it very difficult to give people feedback and advice unless it is in coordination with something graphical, or something i can break down from what i can see infront of me, and opinion..etc



  • Master Adobe InDesign, with all its functions.
  • Proof read, get someone else to proof read.. then proof read again.
  • Get myself properly organised with paper/digital files.
  • Look over my finished work & see if I can try going into more detail.
  • Evaluate it all.

4 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I totally know what you mean about the amount of work... it has struck me as well over the past week or two. However, when looking forward to the next assignment, bear in mind that we now have the experience of the first web plan, so it should be easier to write another.

Gary Benn said...

It’s good that you are wanting to use in design. I think it gives you much more control over what you produce. However, I don't think you will be able to master it in a week. I think it will take like a few years of using it to know ALL the features.

Julian Dyer said...

I really hope you are exaggerating the ‘Master Adobe InDesign, with all its functions’, Andrew. I’ve been using it for around a year now and have barely scratched the surface – I probably use about 5% of its potential.

To put InDesign into perspective, just take a look at the ‘InDesign Bible’ – it’s about 3 inches thick and 896 pages – 5 years to master, yes, 5 days, no.

I understand what you mean when you say you find it hard to post comments without having something visual to work on. I think that you should encourage others to show more visual work, like roughs and digitised versions of their screen designs, and other things as the course goes on. It will generate comments for them, and allow you to meet M3 which is ‘Coherent, logical development of principles/concepts for the intended audience.’

Craig Burgess said...

I think it's also important to develop a taste for offering comment on things that aren't visual too.

As designers we're communicators, and that comes in written form as well as visual.