Tuesday 15 January 2008

A Goud Start.

Back into the 'design cauldron', into the melting pot, into the fire.. it's clear to say this semester has begun where the last one left off, everyone is already going at a vigorous pace and burning along with the assignments. I feel the task A6 that will suit me, as I've always had a small interest in the 'Typographical' side of websites; daily checking DaFont for new font's.. having personally handpicked the set of typeface currently on my computer. People, I think.. don't realise how much typography affects a graphic or a website, it really can ruin a brilliant piece; being that the only thing you can focus on when studying the graphic.

I'm eager to complete referral work in order to start building the site, it will be great to be finally let loose on a site I have been looking at for the best part of a month, wanting to get the paperwork out of the way to get down and dirty with it. I think the group as a whole will be a lot more relaxed during this semester, with the fact there is no much written work to hand in.. even though it will continue at a similar pace to the last one. Maybe it's the fact there isn't much hard evidence of the work in your hand, right then and there.. like there is with the many sheets of the last modules handed in. I think there has been a general calm in the group, a sort of 'phew.. thats out of the way, lets build it' kind of attitude, obviously the reason for this being.. that's exactly what we applied for this course to do.


With already starting the A6 research, I have already been able to find out quite a lot about my chosen 'Typographer' (Frederic W. Goudy), given the ones picked out I don't think mine is one of the hard ones at all, there seems to be alot about him everywhere, and some of his typefaces are pretty famous and well known.. like Copperplate Gothic and Goudy.

5 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

Totally agree with your comments Andrew. Finally, we can start applying what we have been writing about.

Tom Smith said...

I'm also looking forward to the typographic unit. I've now been told the weaker aspect of my jazz banners from A4 was the typographical side of things- I'm looking forward to developing a much more sound knowledge of typography, which will hopefully been represented in my work.

Greg Carrick said...

I never really noticed how much affect the typography has on a piece of work, mainly because I never really paid too much attention to it. But now I’m really interested in the typography and don’t know what I was thinking not paying much attention to it. I can’t wait to learn more about it.

Liam Corfield said...

I agree with you as well, we finally start to do what we initially wanted to do, its a big relife, i aso agree with you typographical statement, because it isnt just effected in websites but everywhere. we see it everyday but never realy notice it. if you get what im saying.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Getting on with the building of our website may not sound as challenging as writing all the planning and so forth. But I think that you will find as you are building the website, things will crop up that will provide you with a challenge and will go against the plans that you originally wanted to adhere to.

The key aspect of A5 is to remember that testing is essential - do it as often as you can because the slightest thing can mess up all that work you originally put in.