Tuesday 22 January 2008

Sans-Serif-Raff

Quick start this week, being ill Monday meant today I had to get on with things at a fast pace and recover the time I lost the previous day. The first lecture we had today on Typography was quite interesting and has lead me to be more and more into the whole world of font, wanting to know what goes with what, the combinations of serif and san-serif. The uses of colour, italic and bolding in conjunction with emphasis and seeing how everything looks when it is done wrong, so you preceed to discover your own mistakes.

I feel the technical language side I'm really getting to grips with, I enjoy knowing about these words for future reference in conversation and essays, also it is something that shows how professional you are, if you can relate to this terms in the proper manner and how they're meant to be used. All this in conjunction with today’s small timed-task as furthered my want for knowledge around the base of the 'Typography' subject and can't wait to proceed on and learn more about it.

Speaking of today’s task; I found it a mixture of emotions.. on the one hand I really enjoyed it, I love being free (within the brief, of course) to design whatever I want to design, giving position to 'Typography' and the use of colour; colour really does drastically change the look of a font that is visually size and type consistent. As soon as I saw the brief of what we needed to do I was excited and ideas began racing through my mind, though not all of them exactly matched the strict brief we were given. This caused a few problems when it came to getting a bit of feedback from Steve about my initial designs, I realised that I had put a picture in that was previously not in the brief, this being an important part of that actual design caused it to fail.

Thankfully I had a good range of designs that enabled one of them to be successful, but when it came to putting this on the actual page I found that it didn't look as good as I had previously though when sketching this out. Luckily I had another design to refer to and last minute I changed my work to this particular design, got the okay from Steve and printed. Handed -In.

Referral work is coming up and the need for completion is high, I'm pretty confident that I'll pass and be on the road for success, getting this referral out the way and co-incidlingly passing A5-A6 will mean a lot the to future. It will certainly make next semester go a lot smoother and a lot less stressful, just for the fact that I'll be able to concentrate on just the one of two modules instead of last semesters work and the stresses that come with failing that and not meeting expectations again. So on the same page, passing these will give my confidence a big boost; and that is one thing that was knocked quite alot during the beginning of this semester, hopefully it'll return.

6 comments:

Marc Pugh said...

Just a small hint... it's "Sans Serif" ;)

Greg Carrick said...

I’m also really getting into typography and even though there’s still a lot I don’t know about it, I’m really interested in how the typography affects the appearance and initial impressions of the design.

Tom Smith said...

I'm looking forward to getting to grips with typography as well. It's not something I've particularly thought massively about in the past, and think it's something that's going to need a lot of work on my behalf.

In the end, I think the incorporation of this graphic design unit is going to benefit us massively- typography is really important in what we all want to be doing.

Mark Torrington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Torrington said...

Glad to here you are inspired by typography. It is easy to get carried away and feel that you have to use many fonts. In a graphic design layout it would not be advisable to use more than two different fonts, as some readers interpret the information as being unreadable.

Always bear in mind form and function, if you didn’t experiment everything would fall in the boring three-column grid and nobody would read it.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Andy

The points made by Mark are of great value; they also reiterate what we have been told during lectures.

I think that we have an opportunity now to experiment with typography, if for no other purpose other than to get all of the 'amaturistic' mistakes out of the way.

We all have a long way to go; of that I am sure.

--

Thanks

Shaun Bellis