Tuesday 26 February 2008

Debate Will Continue..

Another timed task this week, again I feel it was successful.. I really think my structure in these tasks is an invaluable asset. The main resource of this structure is through my time planning. At the beginning of each individual timed task I thoroughly time plan, in micro format; breaking down everything I need to do in small sections. Having these to tick off every 10-15minutes really helps me keep my time structured and on course. I know exactly what to do, when to do it and with the combination of my brain, how to do it, I don't think people realise how much time planning can affect a small task such as this, even when it's only spread out over an hour or two. It really changes the way you think and go about the overall task, your more conservative with your time, checking regularly.. and it definitely culminates in a better design in the end. Due to the fact that all your thoughts are in check and organised. You are also almost guaranteed to get it in on time following your time plan accurately.

The link to my design, is here Jonathan Gee

I'm quite happy with my progress with both assignments, I've really nearly dusted off A6; with my presentation pretty much completed and only a few fonts that need to be input. My handout has been completed for a week or so and my script is the only thing I really need to write up, though I've got it quite efficiently wrote up in rough. I like my design for the whole thing too, I've got a clear design theme running through the whole thing; going for a classic style to match the feel and look of the fonts that Frederic Goudy designed. Only having a few bars that are 1px thick fading out, just adds a real classy touch to the whole presentation.

I ran into some major problems yesterday with A5, the battle between IE and Firefox was hard at work; my website worked perfectly in Firefox, but I've refound my old hate for Internet Explorer. The website looked absolutely terrible on IE, images were everywhere, text was everywhere.. it really was carnage. But with some steady fixing and amending of tables/cells and random pieces of code that weren't doing exactly as they should be, I fixed the problem. This week I was thinking about having the images linked to instead of just having the images on the site, hopefully reducing my file page size and also making the whole layout look smoother. Now I'm thinking of using lightbox instead, just because it adds smoothness to the whole site, and a certain professionalism. The debate will continue...

5 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

Your link is missing again.

Shaun Bellis said...

You bet me to it Craig !

In addition to the broken link, I found it quite difficult to decipher exactly where the link was;


"The link to my design, is here Jonathan Gee"


Perhaps it may warrant a rethink.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head with the time planning.

It is an integral part of ensuring that you do not fall short of time.

Browser compatibility will always be an issue for us; we are fortunate that we are able to work out the solutions to these problems now whilst we have much longer to develop the sites.

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Greg Carrick said...

Time planning is defiantly something that helps in the timed tasks, I’ve noticed how much it helps as like you I’ve been micro planning. But I’m not sure I’ve mastered it as well as you.

Browser compatibility is always going to be a problem, I’m glad you got the website working correctly in both browsers.

Tom Smith said...

Everyone's beat me to it... I was about to point out the missing link too!

Glad you're feeling on top of the assignments and that you're going to be ready for hand in next week... it's a good feeling to be well prepared.

I've found the micro time planning quite useful as well. It helps focus the mind, as well as giving gradual targets to hit throughout the timed task. It's a definite advantage to use time planning effectively.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think its a really good idea to make sure that you take the time to think about planning time sheets in these tasks.

I think its a good to keep looking back at your time sheet to make sure that your on course with what you need to do in the task set.