Tuesday 5 February 2008

Give A Handout

This week was a bit of a tightrope week for me, I really had to knock off the referal work quickly and do my best to get on with the current module; it's quite easy to lose sight of this one whilst your doing referal work. Luckily I made an effort to keep up with the rest of the class on the other assignments so that when it came to moving onto them, I stood in good stead and wasn't too far behind those that hadn't referred. I have completely finished A3 now and with bits to do on the A4 before completion aswell I'm confident I will be able to really start concentrating on the other module very soon.

I really feel I'm getting into this Typography project, especially since I started moving on into the handout side of it. With the handout I really tried to give it an overall classic feel, with hopefully would convey the style of Frederic Goudy, my chosen typographer. I'm doing both the handout and presentation in his very own font 'Californian', to add a real elegant feel to both my presentation and my handout sheet. I created gradient dividers of 1 and 2 pixel height, just to split everything up in a nice way and really give off a well organised presented feel to the whole thing. I went a bit of an extra special way on the handout too and produced a corner gradient divider, so that I could put text in a middle bit and it would be separated from the rest. This all meant that I would be able to input more text but still keep it seperated from the other information, making my whole layout look a lot smoother.

This handout task is a big design task, keeping a consistent design from the presentation to the handout means that there will be a theme running throughout your work. Hopefully reflected in your marks. I tried my best to use the design side last time in the presentation and in my handout, I think it worked well and Steve gave my good feedback for this, as not many other people really saw the whole thing as a design task. Needless to say Mark definitely did, by producing a very professional, well though out handout with cover.

I'm really looking forward to this week since I have the design accepted by Steve and can start properly building it for the internet, and especially for the user testing on the first Monday we're back at college. I'm hoping to get it done a few days before that so I myself can do some user testing with friends and family, to make sure my target audience can use it efficiently and just people in general. Also just those days to make me comfortable with the site so I can produce a final proper Usability Questionnaire, one that will ask effective questions and effective tasks to really get the user thinking and the necessary feedback I need to make any changes.

4 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I'm trying to look on the presentation and handouts as a bit of a design task as, although I'm not sure I've succeeded very well. Over the next couple of weeks I'm hoping to be able to revisit my designs for both and amend them.

I'm glad your design's been accepted by Steve now- I really like the design you've come up with now, and look forward to seeing it online.

Mark Torrington said...

Thank you for the comment about the presentation. You will find that in time whatever you produce you’ll never totally satisfy with it. The hardest lesson to learn is to stop designing when you feel it is enough. Usually the best designs are the most simplistic.

Testing the site out on the oldies is a great idea, however make sure you don’t facilitate them. Consider an observation as well as a questionnaire.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that you have completed A3 now. I found that it was easier to get the assignment out of the way so that it gave enough time to look at designing the site.

Gary Benn said...

Well done on the completion of your A3. Do however try to get your A4 done, as you need to get out of the referral cycle. You have missed out on quite a few weeks which are very good for getting initial feedback for the web site its self.

When you get your first draft online send me a link and I'll give you some feedback :)