Tuesday 11 March 2008

Emitting Inspiration

Today has been a bit of a teaser day, researching into Electronica Labels and other bands also like my chosen 'Gas', and seeing all the artwork created by designers for them. Seeing the logo's and inspirational pieces done around the music, mixed with the pure visionary sounds; really is making me want to push on with the design process. I've already got so many ideas flowing, for both the logo and the CD cover, I've been playing with them; contrasting themes and mixing styles together for the website, as well as the overall branding of the label. I've pretty much got the whole early part of this assignment and the development work already finished in my head, though I know I'll be able to discover even more when it comes to putting things down onto paper for our actual development.

My mood boards really came from these ideas, I had colour schemes for different designs in my head which I proceeded to put into mood board form to see how all the colours work together. See the contrasts they have with each other, which colours are vibrant and pulsating; really trying to mirror the feeling listening to the music gave me. In other words a visual representation of my CD review from yesterday. I also looked at various fonts to go along side my artist and emit and worked some down onto a document, which you will find below this paragraph in a link. These are fonts I really think suit the whole vibe and feel of it, from my perspective; it will be hard narrowing it down to a final 1-2, but I do also have my favourites on the list.

Emit Fonts

I prefer to mood board rather than mind map, it opens my creativity ducts a lot more than simply just writing words down onto paper. Seeing that visual effect the colours and the fonts have in an actual document, then mixing them together to create my desired feeling. I can really see this assignment all coming together. I mentioned it was one I was looking forward to the most to Steve, and I really can't wait to get the go ahead with it. This assignment will really let me use my design skills to their boundaries, then push them beyond the limits and discover new techniques, new ways I'd never really thought of before. I'm hoping to excel with these tasks, I don't think I'm just going to settle for a pass with this one; I need to push this mini-major.

I really enjoyed the CD review yesterday, it did push my creativity in a different direction and working with words in that particular way is something I thoroughly enjoy. Especially as Steve knows, using such a complicated syntax and lexis to convey my ideas to the audience and really try describe exactly what I was feeling and thinking, when listening to the CD. I can't wait to see what the self study work is like.

7 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Mood boards are certainly a great way of us showing our ideas on paper. I feel they give people more of a visual feeling of our ideas compared to mind maps and in my opinion they're more enjoyable too. From the ones we've done during reading week, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of them in future!

John Browne said...

Hey Andy. Thanks for an encouraging comment on my lastest entry. Your review impressed me too.

Moving on to the designs of this upcoming assignmnet. I too am looking forward to meet and greet new upcoming skills in my design work.

The fact that it is just one assignment instead of two makes me feel more at ease, even though the work load is greater. With two assignments your juggling the two with a chance of getting too involved or losing focus on one of them.

Tom Smith said...

Like you, I've developed a few ideas for some aspects of designs for the next assignment. However, I'm trying not to get too attached to the ideas, because then I'll be limited in my creativity when thinking of other ideas.

I think that's one of the issues with my designing- I get one idea and stick to it rigidly, rather than allowing myself to flow a bit more.

I don't know if you have similar issues?

Shaun Bellis said...

Hey Andy

I have the funny feeling that you are going to enjoy the upcoming units.

From the levels of excitement and enthusiasm I have seen i know that your are going to put 110% into your designs.

I cant wait to see them.

--
Cya'

Shaun Bellis

James Bell said...

Choosing the typeface will be a key aspect of this assignment as it can say a large to viewer about both consciously and subconsciously.

The typeface has to reflect has to give the viewer an idea of the music is like whilst remaining as legible as possible.

I think that choosing the typeface could be one of the hardest design choices we have to make during this assignment.

Gary Benn said...

I can undersand why you prefer to do mood boards.

When I look back in my sketchbook it is possibly the most colourful and inspiring I have done so far. Then i get to about 5 pages of mind maps which look slightly boaring!

Doing the mood boards really helped me get into a creative state of mind. Once I started I found it hard to stop!

Although I struggle with choosing relevent typefaces. Do you have any pointers on this?

Michelle Bonfield said...

It's good to see finally the pieces of the jigsaw are clicking neatly together with this project.

Like you I feel this is an opportunity to come out all guns blazing. It is rare to be allowed such creative freedom and I intend to abuse the privilege as much as I can!